Why do they call it the Emerald Isle?

Monday, September 29, 2008

Do I really like being a Mother?

This is me, the tired Mother meant to have been the Queen of an exotic land.


The following was taken from a conversation I had with Lance a few days ago . . .

Me: "UGH not this again," looking at a kitchen full of dishes from just one days' worth of food consumption (I mean I can't believe we are supposed to slave over them every single day!).

Still Me: "I mean is this my purpose? All this beauty, brains, and charm spent with a life of dishes? I HATE doing dishes and I hate making like 100 meals a day and I hate waking up every morning to get kids to school and I hate making sure homework is done and reading is done and baths are taken and clothes are clean and teeth are brushed and rooms are clean!!!"

Lance: "Umm I'm going to pretend that you didn't just say all of that cuz I don't know what to do with this conversation." (He's incredibly sensitive)

Me: "I mean I'm not going to run off or anything, I had these kids and I'm going to woman-up (I changed that cliche' saying) and take care of them, but sometimes I just hate it!

Lance: Silence - shoots me a scared look . . .

At least I felt better after giving my feelings a voice. Then tonight we finally had our yearly "school blessings" and I peeked during Zoey's as she sat there blushing with a huge grin on her face the whole time her Dad was blessing her, while simultaneously Zane was snuggled up to me on the couch stroking my arm and laying his head on my shoulder. I ended the day by looking at some pictures of Chubs and I couldn't believe how much I loved them.

The End.

13 comments:

Vanessa said...

You brought a tear to my eye :)

STEPHANIE said...

Great post as always! I think we all feel that way!

Tanya said...

yup....we do all feel that way. thank goodness for the little good times they give us!

Colett (*.*) said...

Must be in the water, I had a similar melt down on Sunday, only I'll bet mine was much more dramatic. Somehow we always get over ourselves and go do the dishes anyway. My most hated thing in the world is laundry. At least you have a housekeeper and yard guys, so you are spoiled in my eyes!

Shannon said...

i didn't know you hated dishes so bad. i actually like doing dishes and would do your dishes for the rest of time if you would do my floors and toilets. i really will help you with dishes more b/c like i said--this was always my fave chore.

Shannon said...

ok i am finally hearing the song for the first time....i was expecting "childhood dreams" by nelly furtado....not I am Woman! good one! haha

Lisa said...

Amen Hillary! I feel like that more days then not. Maybe if the husbands would help out more....

s.s parker said...

we all have those moments! today I got saylor out of her highchair after lunch and thought, I have to do this 3 times a day forever!! and don't forget you are a queen!

BenKels&kiddos said...

You have said it for us all! It's great to hear that we are all going through the same thing. I try not to think about how much I hate doing dishes, then it's not so bad. They've always been the worst chore for me. Laundry is approaching that level. I don't think I've been caught up since Nathan and Karalee came along.

Hills said...

Wait you have a house keeper...what's her name and number????

My super mom days are few and far between. So today Wil decided to follow Austin and Reed up to McSpadden's. (Thank you by the way for the phone call to your husband which led me in that direction. Oh and can you please tell Lance sorry for the profanity) Anyway...I had a thought of the brighter side to the situation....one down!

I'm just kidding! But I hear you sister! Only for a season, only for a season...that's what I keep telling myself!

Kim said...

I'm hoping Lance felt your frusteration and stepped it up. The homework thing is one of my biggest problems right now. Not hard but just a pure pain! I get so grouchy every night around homework/bedtime. Jason can't figure it out. Do you think it's time for a girls trip? Somedays I just want Jason to have the flu and have loads of laundry to do, carpools to drive, dinner to make, and 10 billion things in between. In the next life! Thank heavens we do love our little monkeys so much. And truly I feel so blessed to get to stay home with them everyday. I can't imagine dropping my little Lucy off anywhere or adding a full time job on top oh motherhood!

Tanya said...

Oh, I've had many of those moments, which is why I am stopping at 3. You're a great mommy!

JaMie HeApS said...

sooo true. its a hate and love relationship, thats why its always good to excape every once in awhile it makes you miss 'em and the husbands get a little taste of what its like.