Why do they call it the Emerald Isle?

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Now, 45 of the 50 Nifty

Alaska makes 45 . . . states visited that is (who really wants to go to the Dakotas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, or Wisconsin anyway?). It is one of my favorites, no not in terms of shopping but definitley in terms of scenery, food, weather, and nice people.

At first I though it slightly sucked to have to take Chubs but it turned out to be a great snuggling opportunity and everyone helped with him, and the truth is I couldn't have stood to be away from him that long. We had such a fun time on our cruise, for one thing we were some of the youngest people on the ship which allowed us free reign of the boat after about 9:00 p.m. We took Holland America and it was a great cruise line, friendly and delicious.

One of my favorite things we did, which I did not get pictures of, is the spa treatments. We spent three different days getting facials, massages, exfoliations, toxins released, hydropooled, and just relaxing on the mosaic warming chairs watching the mountains and the ocean pass. Lance and I had a couples massage which was very romantic, while Shanny tended/slept with Chubs (thanks peentz). It was one of our funnest family trips, here is a visual re-cap . . .

Here is the Oosterdam, our ship . . . Here is downtown Juneau, Alaska's capital. It is built on a very small strip of land sandwhiched between the mountains and the ocean, beautiful. They had the MOST amazing peanut butter chocolate chunk fudge I could've imagined.
Juneau after lunch at The Hangar. Good choice Woggie.
The sea planes coming in for a landing.
Taken leaving Juneau from the deck of the ship, Allyson, Lindsey, me, Shannon. Is it just me or is Ally's flower attacking Lindz?



The bears in Alaska are actually very friendly.

This is Sitka, our least fave town.


Lance and chubs on the deck of the ship while we viewed the Hubbard Glacier.
Hubbard Glacier, the largest Glacier in the world. This glacier is one of the only glaciers expanding, it is 76 miles long.
Chubs in his chef's hat at the chef's parade dinner.



Jeff and Chubs on our last formal night.
Ketchikan, our favorite city. This city was lively and fun. I've eaten fish and chips in England and Ireland, from Boston to San Fran and Seattle so HEAR THIS: They can't hold a candle to Ketchikan Alaska. The fish and chips here were made of halibut and just melted in your mouth. And the tartar sauce was made with fresh dill not dill pickle relish, mmmmm.




14 comments:

Vanessa said...

I'm sorry, did you say something? I can only focus on the hot guy in the tux!

Kim said...

You did a great job recaping the week for us all. Looks like a great time!! The halibut sounds delicious not to mention that fudge you described and I trust those taste buds of yours. I love how you really lived up the night life and partied with your family. The Wests do some pretty fun things together! I am also jealous of the pampering you got on the ship. I know Lance was participating in that. Glad you had fun!!

STEPHANIE said...

Fun times! Looks beautiful but cold. Love the pics of Chubs in the hat and him all pimped out for formal night. The pampering-thats seriously what I need right now. The food sounds very yummy as well and I know you know your food!

Mindy said...

How fun!! I have always wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska it looks so beautiful.

Heather said...

The West family knows how to have a good time! Way to get the most out of your vacation... yummy food, beautiful landscape, a bit of shopping, spa treatments and late nights with the fam sounds perfect. I'm glad everything worked out so well with Chazz, he's such a good baby it doesn't surprise me. Lance makes me laugh, I'm sure he could care less about not being able to attend formal night. Glad you were all able to go... :)

Colett (*.*) said...

I warned you about the shopping. It really is one of the most beautiful places in the world. The glaciers are amazing. And for the record, South Dakota is actually really fun.

Julie said...

45 states!! WOW!!

Shannon said...

V--come on!!! you kill me. great recap hill--pretty funny. i espesh like how you mentioned that the best thing about the capital of Alaska is the fudge!

Shauna said...

What you don't want to go to Wisconsin? Actually I have been and you are right there isn't much there. Some cool brewerys to go visit. But I am not really into that sort of thing. Your trip looked like so much fun! I loved the pictures with the 4 girls. You are such a cute little family.

Tanya said...

Send me an email so I can put you on my blog list...briantanyaboyer@yahoo

Lisa said...

Loved all the pictures - especially Chubbs in the chef hat. Your family really knows how to move on the dance floor! It looks amazing - glad you all had fun. BTW no surprise there with Lance and dinner! Did you really expect him to dress up?

s.s parker said...

one question??...why didn't I get invited!! what a blast. could chubs be any cuter!! what a dumplin' You gals sure look fabulous, and you brother is still a geek!:

tell allyson she's still got the moves!!

Jalinda said...

What an amazing vacation! Alaska looks beautiful. I love all your fun pics. Especially the one of you and your sisters--gorgeous! And who can forget your dashing brother in his tux!

Rynell said...

I love all the photos! My folks are in en route to Alaska right now. They'd better bring back some great photos.